Suffering From a Backache? Arthritis May Be To Blame
Many forms of arthritis that affect the joints, muscles and/or bones can cause problems in your back as well. While any part of the back can be affected, the lower back is the most common site of spinal arthritis and back pain, because it bears more of the body's weight.
At the office of Manhattan Orthopedic Spine PLLC, our professionals are experts in conditions of the spine. After careful evaluation, we will develop a treatment plan to prevent further spinal damage, help manage the pain, and get you back to doing the activities you love.
Some more common forms of arthritis that affect the spine:
• Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis of the spine is a breakdown of the cartilage of the joints and discs in the neck and lower back.
• Rheumatoid arthritis: An autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system – which normally protects its health by attacking foreign substances like bacteria and viruses – mistakenly attacks certain joints in the spine.
• Fibromyalgia: A syndrome of chronic, widespread muscle pain and fatigue, usually in the lower back, which can be debilitating.
• Osteoporosis: A condition in which the bones lose so much mass that they become brittle and prone to break with slight trauma.
• Spinal stenosis: A narrowing of the spaces within the spine, which can put pressure on the nerves that travel through the spine.
• Sciatica: An inflammation of the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower part of the spinal cord through the buttock and down the back of the leg to the foot.
Treatment for spinal arthritis depends on many factors including your age, level of pain, type and severity of arthritis and your personal health goals. Because joint damage caused by arthritis is irreversible, treatment usually focuses on managing pain and preventing further damage.
At the office of Manhattan Orthopedic Spine PLLC, we’re dedicated to providing the highest quality of skilled and compassionate orthopedic spinal care. For more information on our office and the many services we provide, give us a call today.